TIPS FOR BUYING OR SELLING YOUR HOME DURING THE HOLIDAYS
Post by : Kristina Fisher
It’s well known that summer is a busy season for buying homes. But there are plenty of benefits — on both sides of the transaction — to consider decking the halls of a new home during the holidays.
Selling a Home:
- Buyers are motivated. Jump on this fervor for a new home by being flexible with open houses, showings, and creating appealing virtual tours with pictures and video so buyers know exactly what the home offers them.
- Little enhancements go a long way. Some strategic holiday decorations that make the house feel inviting are good as long as they aren’t too personal or specific. That goes for both the inside of the home with staging and the landscaping to boost curb appeal. Don’t forget, too: buyers are fighting the elements, so having a warm space that sports a couple of extra touches such as cinnamon candles or gingerbread cookies can put your home over the top.
- Is there really a slow season in Florida? As a realtor, I think not, in the winter we have more people from the Northern states looking to buy. They are sick and tired of the cold weather and they are looking to buy a property somewhere warm like the sunshine state. So there is no bad time to SELL in Florida.
Buying a Home:
- Sellers are motivated. Since this time of year is a less popular time to list, usually, if the home is on the market, the sellers are motivated to sell their home. (They might be trying to shop during this “off-season” as well.) So, take advantage of the timing may help you get the most home for your money.
- There is less competition from other buyers. People want to move in the summer when the weather is warm and kids are out of school. If you are willing to move into a new home in cooler weather, you will find there are fewer buyers out there trying to scoop a home up from under you. That gives everyone on your side of the table a better chance at negotiations swinging in your favor.
- More focus on professionals in the process. In the height of home sale season, everyone — from you to your agent, loan officer, home appraiser, etc. — is busy with a lot of responsibilities to juggle. But when you buy during the holidays, you’ll be fighting with a lot less competition for attention. (Other than maybe some scheduled vacation times.) A solid agent can shepherd you through the process no sweat during this time of year.